LEWIS COUNTY ZONE ADMINISTRATIVE BOARD
February 9, 2007
1. Call to Order: The meeting of the Lewis County Zone Administrative Board (ZAB) was called to order by Chairman Sorbello at 8:38 AM in the meeting room at the Town of Lowville Municipal Offices, Lowville, NY.
Attendance: Members Present: John Sorbello, Terry Thisse, Glenn Gagnier, Doreen Marks-Garrett, Elizabeth Woods, Gary Williams, Robert Teal, Arleigh Rice, Eric Virkler, Cheryl Shenkle-O'Neill, Marian Opela. Legislators Present: Jerry King, John Boyd. Staff/Others: Ned Cole, Vicki Roy, Renee Beyer.
Excused: Frederick Schneider, Virgil Taylor, Haskell Yancey.
2. Review and Approval of Minutes: The minutes from the December 28, 2006 special meeting were presented. Mr. Virkler made a motion to
accept the minutes with no changes; Mr. Gagnier seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.
· Zone administration transition from IDA to the County - Mr. Sorbello informed the ZAB that the transition of administration for the Zone had gone smoothly and that as of January 1, 2007 the Lewis County Department of Economic Development is responsible for Empire Zone administration within the County. Mr. Sorbello thanked Mr. Cole for his work and stated that he continues to be of great assistance in administering the Zone. Renee Beyer has been appointed as interim Zone Coordinator and the County intends to hire a person to be the Empire Zone Coordinator. Mr. Sorbello stated that he would like a few of the ZAB members to participate in the interview process. Mr. Thisse, Mr. Schneider, Mrs. Marks-Garrett and Mr. Cole all agreed to be involved in the interview process.
· Mr. Sorbello asked for nominations from the floor for a Vice-Chairperson. Mr. Thisse nominated Frederick Schneider, Mr. Rice seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.
· The Committee list was addressed and Mrs. Beyer explained that the incorrect committee list had been mailed with the agenda. Mrs. Beyer distributed a more current committee list. Four ZAB members are not included on any Committee and the request was made to add these members to a committee. Mr. Virkler will be added to the Budget Committee, Mrs. Opela and Mr. Schneider will be added to the Bylaws Committee and Mr. Boyd will be added to the Zone Capital Credits Committee. Mr. Thisse made a motion to approve the Committee additions as they stand; Mr. Williams seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.
4. Correspondence and Communication: None
5. Zone Administration Update:
Mr. Sorbello gave an update of the status of the Lewis County Empire Zone. He explained that he hand delivered the boundary re designation packets to our new Program Assistant (PA) at Empire State Development, Judith Tholl. The re-designation packets are being reviewed and will hopefully be approved soon. The question was raised in regard to our ability to certify businesses yet. Mr. Sorbello explained that the ZAB would not be able to certify businesses until the re-designation is approved.
7. New Business: Mr. Sorbello and Mrs. Beyer presented a resolution to the ZAB at the request of the Statewide Zone Capital Credit Corporation. The Corporation is requesting to offer loans to zone-certified businesses located in any and all Empire Zones. Discussion was had about the loan program offered by the Corporation. Mr. Williams made a motion to approve the resolution; Mr. Thisse seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.
8. Old Business: Mr. Sorbello addressed the copy of the Bylaws that had been distributed to the ZAB. He explained that the County Attorney had written the Bylaws. Mr. Rice stated that he felt the By-Law Committee should meet to discuss the Bylaws. The Bylaws Committee will meet on the February 21st at 10:00 AM in the Town of Lowville meeting room.
Mr. Gagnier asked and was informed that all of the Towns and Villages returned their Empire Zone Resolutions for the Boundary Amendment.
Mr. Sorbello discussed the terms of the current ZAB members. The resolution passed last evening and he informed the ZAB that they would receive a copy of the resolution via mail.
It was discussed that the next meeting will be held in March once a candidate for the Empire Zone Coordinator has been selected. Mr. Williams asked that the ZAB be allowed to meet the candidate before he/she is hired.
9. Adjournment: Mr. Thisse made a motion to adjourn; Mr Gagnier seconded the motion, which carried unanimously. The meeting adjourned at 10:17 AM.
Renee J. Beyer
Interim Zone Coordinator