LEWIS COUNTY PLANNING BOARD
August 16, 2007
1. Call to Order: Chairman Lee called the monthly meeting of the Lewis County Planning Board to order at 6:00 PM in the Legislative Chambers, Lewis County Court House, Lowville, NY.
2. Roll Call: Board members present: Tom Sweet, Mike Kaido, Vicki Roy, Rick Lucas, Pat Wallace and Dennis Lee. Staff present: Renee Beyer, Planner.
3. Reading and Approval of Minutes: The July 19, 2007 meeting minutes were received and there were no modifications made by the Board members present. Mr. Lucas motioned to approve the minutes; Mrs. Roy seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.
4. Correspondence and Communication: None
5. Report From Officers: None
6. Report of Special Committees:
239-M Review Committee
Mrs. Beyer reviewed the following referral:
1. VILLAGE OF LOWVILLE PLANNING BOARD
§ Compatibility With Adjacent Uses:
§ Traffic Generation and Effect:
7. Report of County Planner:
Mrs. Beyer reported the responses from the joint Town/Village of Lowville Planning Board in regard to two projects reviewed at previous meetings. The Town/Village Planning Board approved the Site Plan Review request from RKR Auto Sales. The minutes from the Town/Village Planning Board reflect that they requested additional traffic flow plans from the applicant. Mrs. Beyer then told the Board that the Use Variance request for the machinery sales business on the Number Three Road was also approved, the applicant was required to move the machinery farther from the road and the Town/Village Planning Board granted the variance.
Mrs. Beyer finally informed the Board that the Town/Village Planning Board approved a project that was not brought to the County Planning Board due to a lack of information provided by the Village in their referral.
The Board voiced their concern for the lack of information at the Town and Village level as well as their lack for concern of the legal process involved in referring projects to the County for review. Mrs. Beyer stated that she understood their concern and that the County Planning Board serves as an advisory Board to the Towns and Villages. Mrs. Beyer explained that she is looking into a process by which any referral that is sent to the County that does not have a County-wide impact would be reviewed by planning staff and a recommendation would be returned to the referring body. This process would decrease the number of Board meetings and would allow the Board to have input on projects that have a countywide impact. Mr. Lucas told the Board that the legislative committee responsible for the Planning Office agrees with this concept. He asked the Board to share their thought on the proposed change. The Board voiced there concern again that the Towns and Villages do not always follow the rules or listen the Planning Boards recommendations. The Board asked if there was some way they could be kept informed of the projects that the planning office reviews that do not require the full Board to meet. Mrs. Beyer offered to keep them informed via a monthly newsletter which would be on the County's website and could be mailed to them as well. Ultimately the Board approved of the concept.
8. Unfinished Business: None
9. New Business: None
10. Adjournment: Their being no other business, a motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Mr. Sweet and seconded by Mrs. Roy. Chairman Lee adjourned the meeting at 6:40 PM.
Renee J. Beyer